Friday, May 30, 2008

Moved fuel temp sensor, timed purge

Pictures are up - http://picasaweb.google.com/ray.ackley/2005MercedesE320CDIConversion

Some of these config pictures are a little out of date with the changes I made tonight (see below), but I'll update them soon.

I moved the fuel temp sensor out of where it was (after the valves, before entering the common rail FP) to the output side of the common rail. The temps are higher now, although they seem less dependent on the temperature of the VO as it enters the system than how heat soaked the engine itself is. The common rail is basically one big hunk of metal tubing that's directly mounted to the head, so that makes sense. I'll post more temp readings after I get a chance to actually drive it around.

I also put a glass filter in the return line just before the valves and discovered the purge time is surprisingly short. Purge time is only 20 seconds, and I set the Return Delay parameter (delaying the return valve on the switch to VO from diesel) to 15 seconds. I was kind of surprised at this because it looks like the common rail holds a large volume of fuel in it. So either it's moving fuel pretty darned fast or it doesn't have as much volume inside as it looks like it does.

No comments: