Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Switchover times

Bad news - the switchover times on this car are quite lengthy. This appears to be due to the common rail being thermally tied to the engine's head. With ambient temps at about 70*F, it takes me 11 miles / 20 minutes to get the returning diesel fuel temps up to 140*F. The coolant is at full temperature at about 4-5 minutes, but the entire engine takes much longer to heat up.

A block heater or some type of aux 120v coolant heater should help, and that's my plan of action going forward.

2 comments:

Bruce Martin said...

Fantastic blog! I actually love how it's simple on my eyes as well as the data is well written. I am wondering how I may be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your rss feed which really should do the trick! Have a nice day!

diesel fuel pump

Unknown said...

hi i was just woundering how the car is running, you havent posted anything sence 2008. i only ask because im thinking about doing the same conversion my self. thanks for your help.